Promises of God Part 12
I Will Return to You
November 29 - December 5, 2020
Texts: Acts 1:6-11 / Psalm 80:14-19 / 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 / Luke 21:25-33 / James 1:19-25
- Read Luke 21:25-33. What is one thing (word, sentence, phrase, action, verb, etc.) that stands out to you? Now read the passage again. What is one thing that stands out to you on a second reading? Go around the group and discuss why/what-it-is about this “thing” that stands out to you.
- Read Acts 1:6-11 in the same way as above. What is it that stands out to you about this passage?
- This is the First Sunday of Advent. It seems as though many of us (like Joe Simpson in the story from the sermon) have been crawling and struggling through this year. What hope does Advent give you, personally? Does Advent give you hope this year? Is your Advent celebration going to be any different than year’s past?
- Be ready is the call for us in this promise. Be ready for the promised return of Christ, be ready for the Holy Spirit to lead us now. What does being ready look like for you? Do you do anything differently to be ready?
- What are some suggestions you’d have for a new believer who is just hearing about Advent for the first time?
- Do you have a “2-minute testimony” ready? Your story that can be shared, simply and briefly, to someone who is new to faith or someone who is unsure of Jesus. Take some time to practice your “2-minute testimony” now (again).
Collect for Advent One
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.