Promises of God Part 14
I Will Lift Up the Lowly
December 13-20, 2020
Isaiah 57:14-21/ Luke 1:26-38/Psalm 41/ Psalm 23 (KJV); 1 Peter 4:12-19/Matthew 11:28-30
- Discuss what it means to be “lowly,” or “contrite” (broken-hearted). Discuss a time recently where you’ve felt lowly or contrite. Are you there now? What are some passages of Scripture that have helped you during these times?
- In A Christmas Carol, Jacob Marley’s ghost is carrying all the weight and burdens of his life that was full of greed. He comments to Scrooge that his chains of burden were this heavy seven years ago and have since been increased. “You are fettered,” said Scrooge, trembling. “Tell me why?” “I wear the chain I forged in life,” replied the Ghost. “I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?”Scrooge trembled more and more.“Or would you know,” pursued the Ghost, “the weight and length of the strong coil you bear yourself? It was full as heavy and as long as this, seven Christmas Eves ago. You have laboured on it, since. It is a ponderous chain!”Scrooge glanced about him on the floor, in the expectation of finding himself surrounded by some fifty or sixty fathoms of iron cable: but he could see nothing. Discuss the parallel between “building our own chains and shackles,” and the comfortable words of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Discuss a time in your life when you’ve come to the end of yourself; when you’ve been tired of carrying the unnecessary weight of those chains and shackles.
- How is Jesus revealing Himself to you during this time of pandemic? In what ways have you felt His shalom (peace)? Have you been able to share how He is working in your life? Why/why not?
- Discuss conversations you’ve had this year in regards to questions like: Where is God during all of this? How can God let this happen? How can anyone get through this without hope? In what ways have these types of conversations deepened your faith? In what ways are these conversations genuinely tiresome?
- Does your “2-minute testimony” include an example of God’s hope? Describe hope in Jesus Christ as it relates to your testimony.
Blessings BasketMusic MinistryWeddings at St. John's Parish ChurchWomen's Groups & Bible StudiesLadies of Cheer MinistryCo-Ed Adult Bible Studies and Sunday SchoolMen's Bible StudiesYouth and Childrens Groups and SchoolVestry NominationGod Is Working With UsPrayer Shawl MinistryTechnology and Social Media MinistryWord Weavers MinistryChildren's MinistryCub ScoutsYouth MinistryAltar Flowers Ministry & Altar GuildDaughters of the Holy CrossHaut GapAll Saints Day 2019Feeding the MultitudeWhen You Get a Gift, the Giver has a Claim on You"Rise and go...and he rose and went."